Deep beneath the crystal turquoise water, white sandy seashores and thatched overwater bungalows of the Maldives lies a deep and slim system of caves, devoid of sunshine and the colourful marine life that inhabits increased waters.

The seas have been tough and the wind was choosing up late Thursday morning when a crew of 5 skilled Italian divers plunged towards these pitch-black caverns off the Vaavu Atoll, about an hour south by speedboat of the capital Malé.

The group included teacher Gianluca Benedetti; Monica Montefalcone, an affiliate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; and researcher Muriel Oddenino.

Muriel Oddenino, Federico Gualtieri, Monica Montefalcone, Gialunca Benedetti and Giorgia Sommacal.

The divers ventured deep into the cave community, which opens at a depth of about 47 meters (154 ft) and drops to about 70 meters (230 ft) at its lowest level.

They by no means returned.

The our bodies of the 5 scuba divers have been solely discovered after a multi-day search effort, a fraught and threatening course of which claimed a sixth sufferer, native navy diver Sgt. Mohamed Mahudhee.

The group had permission to dive deeper than the 30 meters (98 ft) Maldivian leisure dive limits enable, native authorities mentioned.

But it’s not clear whether or not they went deeper than deliberate, or whether or not they had the applicable gear for such a high-risk expedition.

The divers have been staying on board a luxurious 36-meter yacht referred to as the Duke of York that gives personalized cruises for as much as 25 company.

An ocean lover’s dream, the yacht permits divers to discover the Maldives’ coral islands up shut, whereas having fun with seafood dinners and days spent lounging on solar beds on the prime deck.

Around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, somebody aboard the boat put out a misery sign, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, the chief spokesperson for the Maldives authorities informed NCS.

The divers had been underwater for about two hours and had didn’t resurface.

Another liveaboard vessel responded first, Shareef mentioned. Within about half an hour, divers from that vessel positioned Benedetti’s physique at the mouth of the cave.

The Maldives Coast Guard started an over and underwater seek for the 4 remaining divers, however as soon as Benedetti’s physique was discovered, the authorities started working underneath the assumption that the 4 remaining divers have been inside the cave.

Monica Montefalcone was an environmentalist who had performed marine analysis in the Maldives for a few years.

Her husband Carlo Sommacal, Giorgia’s father, mentioned his spouse was “one of the best divers on the face of the earth.”

“She must have completed 5,000 dives,” Sommacal told Italian newspaper la Repubblica.

A Coast Guard boat and other vessels search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026.

Ahead of the dive, the Maldives’ Marine Research Center had accredited a analysis proposal from Montefalcone, Gualtieri and Oddenino to check tender corals close to the Vaavu Atoll, Shareef mentioned. Sommacal and Benedetti weren’t listed on the software.

The Italian researchers had additionally obtained permission to conduct technical dives, which means they might discover deeper than 30 meters, Shareef mentioned.

But the Maldives authorities didn’t know the divers can be cave diving, Shareef mentioned, or they would have lent the help of the Coast Guard or different professionals to help with the complicated dive.

“We are very sure that we would have been able to give them much clearer guidelines and advice had they told us that this was such a demanding assignment at such depths inside a cave.”

The University of Genoa mentioned Montefalcone and Oddenino have been in the Maldives to check the results of local weather change on biodiversity, however that the dive itself “was not part of the mission’s planned activities” and was “carried out on a personal basis,” in response to Reuters information company.

Further rising the riskiness of the dive was poor climate. The Maldives Meteorological Service issued a white alert mid-morning Thursday, warning of sturdy winds and tough seas. It’s not clear whether or not the divers knew about the alert.

By mid-afternoon, the warning stage was raised to yellow, with sturdy winds of as much as 30 miles per hour with gusts of fifty miles per hour, and really tough seas.

Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026.

Few divers have ventured into this uncommon underwater ecosystem; Vladimir Tochilov, a Russian technical diving professional, is one in all them.

“This cave is accessible only for technical cave divers who have the appropriate preparation, the appropriate experience and who are planning on correctly diving into this cave,” Tochilov informed NCS.

maldives cave 2014 vrtc.jpg

Inside the cave the place 5 divers died in the Maldives

Video taken in 2014 reveals the location the place 5 Italian divers died in May whereas exploring the Vaavu Atoll caves.

1:18

The cave the place the Italians have been discovered is about 200 meters lengthy and consists of a number of halls, in response to Tochilov, who dove there in 2014.

A video posted to YouTube by Tochilov’s diving firm, Neva Divers, reveals a darkish, barren and otherworldly ecosystem.

At factors the divers, illuminating their route with flashlights, should swim by way of slim corridors. It seems foreboding and claustrophobic.

Tochilov says cave diving requires not solely intensive technical coaching however psychological preparation to cope with the feeling of concern and disorientation.

As you go deeper into the Maldives cave, you attain some extent the place the gentle of the exit is not seen, and you might want to navigate in full darkness, Tochilov mentioned.

“Any person, if you try to spin them in the dark and ask to find an exit in a dark room, there will also be difficulties,” Tochilov mentioned.

Unlike different widespread diving locations, the Maldives isn’t recognized for cave diving. The cave the divers have been exploring could also be the just one prefer it in the space, Tochilov mentioned.

“This is probably why it attracted the attention of divers, including scientists, biologists, and researchers,” he mentioned. “The cave has its own flora and fauna that you will not see outside the cave.”

A diver from Finland prepares to take part in a recovery operation for four missing Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 19, 2026.
The multinational recovery effort involved local experts, three Finnish divers from the global scuba safety group Divers Alert Network (DAN) and specialist equipment provided by the UK and Australia.

Following the discovery of the dive teacher’s physique on Thursday, it might take till Monday for the remaining 4 divers to be positioned, inside the third chamber of the cave, in response to Maldives authorities.

The multinational search operation concerned native consultants, three Finnish divers from the world scuba security group Divers Alert Network (DAN) and specialist gear offered by the United Kingdom and Australia, Shareef mentioned.

Unpredictable sturdy currents, slim passageways in the caves and pitch-black darkness made the operation extraordinarily difficult, Shareef mentioned.

“You have to be an expert for this level of diving,” he added.

The search effort was suspended for a day after Mahudhee, the senior navy diver, died on Saturday.

Authorities imagine he died from decompression illness, which happens when divers ascend too shortly and there’s a fast lower in strain round them.

Mahudhee was laid to relaxation with full navy honors at a ceremony in Malé, the place 1000’s paid their respects together with President Mohamed Muizzu, tourism and navy officers and international ambassadors.

A man sits under a tree at Artificial Beach as rescue teams searched for a second day for the bodies of four missing Italians, in Malé, Maldives, on May 15, 2026.

It’s not but clear what occurred to the Italian divers.

Deep-sea cave diving brings a number of dangers, mentioned John Volanthen, a diving officer for the British Cave Rescue Council, who performed a key position in the rescue of a Thai youth soccer crew that grew to become trapped in a labyrinthine underwater cave community in 2018.

A dozen boys and their coach have been safely faraway from the flooded Chiang Rai cave system after a daring and extraordinary effort to bring them out one by one.

One of the risks of deep-sea diving is fuel narcosis, an anesthetic impact skilled by scuba divers which is attributable to respiration compressed fuel at depth. Divers typically use specialised respiration mixtures, equivalent to nitrogen and oxygen, to stop this situation.

Volanthen says the Italian divers could have grow to be confused whereas deep inside the cave.

“As you start to go deeper, that narcosis effect could potentially create panic, but it could also make them less likely to be able to find their way out,” Volanthen mentioned.

Shareef mentioned authorities are focusing their inquiry on the yacht and have suspended its license whereas they examine additional.

“We know for a fact that the vessel did not have all its papers in order,” Shareef mentioned, including that the vessel lacked a “dive school license.”

“If you’re going to run a dive school operation, where you are advertising and assisting clients on diving missions, whether it’s recreational or technical, you need to have a dive school license,” he mentioned.

An ambulance carrying the body of one of the five Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves, arrives at a mortuary in Male, Maldives, on May 19, 2026.

NCS has reached out to the operator of the Duke of York, Abdul Muhsin Moosa, for remark. He informed Reuters the vessel had permission for dives of as much as 30 meters, and divers have been briefed on arrival about the restrict.

Orietta Stella, lawyer for Albatros Top Boat, the Italian tour firm which bought journeys on the yacht, mentioned the boat’s operator “did not know” the group deliberate to descend additional than the leisure dive restrict and “would never have allowed it,” in response to the Associated Press.

She additionally clarified that Albatros solely marketed the cruise and neither owned the vessel nor employed the crew, which was employed domestically. NCS has contacted Albatros Top Boat for additional remark.

As authorities attempt to decide what led to the lack of 5 lives, Sommaca is left to grieve a spouse and daughter.

Montefalcone was a “conscientious person” who would by no means have put others’ lives in danger, he informed la Repubblica.

“Something must have happened down there.”



Sources

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *