Thursday, March 18, 2021 | 8:29 PM
While the PIAA basketball playoffs really started Tuesday and Wednesday with first-round video games, the state playoff motion ideas off for WPIAL champions Friday.
The District 7 champs hitting the court docket Friday night are New Castle (5A), Lincoln Park (4A) and Bishop Canevin (A) boys together with North Allegheny (6A), Mohawk (3A) and Neshannock (2A) women.
Here are some street to Hershey factoids.
Cathedral Prep at New Castle, 6:30 p.m.
• This is the 66th time New Castle will hit the ground for a PIAA boys basketball playoff sport. They are 43-22 general with one state championship.
• This marks the fifth time the Red Hurricane will face the Ramblers out of District 10. New Castle gained a first-round sport, 55-51, in 1982. Cathedral Prep eradicated the ‘Canes in the 1993 semifinals and the primary spherical in 1995. The final assembly was in 2013 when the Red Hurricane gained, 80-70, in a quarterfinals contest.
Clearfield at Lincoln Park, 6:30 p.m.
• Lincoln Park’s first PIAA playoff sport was in 2010. In a brief time period, the Leopards have amassed 32 wins and a pair of state titles.
• In reality, they’re nonetheless the reigning Class 3A champs after profitable all of it in 2019. Lincoln Park is now in Class 4A.
• The Leopards have by no means performed Clearfield in the state playoffs, however the WPIAL champs are 5-1 in opposition to groups from District 9.
• The Bison are 1-17 in PIAA playoff video games.
Berlin-Brothersvalley at Bishop Canevin, 6:30 p.m.
• Thirty-five years in the past, Bishop Canevin performed its first PIAA boys basketball playoff sport. The Crusaders misplaced to Cambria Heights in double additional time, 57-50, in the primary spherical of the 1986 Class AAA playoffs.
• The Crusaders have gained in the primary spherical 4 occasions. Their most up-to-date journey to the state playoffs was their most profitable as they reached the 2017 Class 2A semifinals, the place they misplaced to Sewickley Academy, 50-48.
• This is barely the second time the Mountaineers are taking part in in a PIAA quarterfinals sport. They misplaced to Wampum out of the WPIAL in the 1955 state quarterfinals.
• Berlin-Brothersvalley is 3-19 general in PIAA boys basketball playoff video games.
McDowell at North Allegheny, 6 p.m.
• North Allegheny beat Manheim Township and State College in the 2020 state playoffs earlier than the event was first suspended, then cancelled due to the pandemic.
• This is the eighth straight season the Tigers certified for the PIAA women postseason. The solely season they didn’t attain the quarterfinals spherical was 2019.
• The final time these packages met was the tipoff to the 2012-2013 season as host North Allegheny cruised previous McDowell, 56-24.
• McDowell solely performed one workforce from the WPIAL this season and misplaced to Hampton, 53-45, the day earlier than the season was suspended for three weeks Dec. 11.
Punxsutawney at Mohawk, 6:30 p.m.
• Mohawk beat United by 24 factors and Carlynton by 17 in the primary two rounds of the state playoffs a yr in the past earlier than a quarterfinals matchup in opposition to Cambria Heights was cancelled due to covid-19 outbreak.
• The Warriors additionally gained two video games in the 2018 PIAA playoffs earlier than shedding to Bishop Canevin, 31-30, in the state quarterfinals.
• Mohawk additionally gained two state playoff video games in 2013 by beating Everett and North East in the Class AA event earlier than shedding in the quarterfinals to Seton LaSalle.
• Punxsutawney enters the sport with an ideal 19-0 report after beating Moniteau in the District 9 title sport and Everett, 72-38, in a PIAA first-round sport on Tuesday.
• The Chucks have gained seven straight District 9 championships; nevertheless, they haven’t fared effectively in the state playoffs in opposition to WPIAL groups. Punxsutawney is 1-5 in first-round video games in opposition to District 7 groups in the final seven years. Their lone win was a 46-40 overcome Central Valley in the 4A first spherical in 2017.
Windber at Neshannock at 6:30 p.m.
• The final time Neshannock gained the WPIAL in 2019, the Lancers beat Tyrone by 4 factors and Avonworth by 23 factors in the state playoffs, earlier than shedding to Delone Catholic in the quarterfinals, 50-41.
• Neshannock has appeared in the ladies state playoffs in six of the final eight years, however solely in 2017 and 2019 did the Lancers make it previous the primary spherical.
• Windber is 20-1 after beating Tussey Mountain, 44-29, in the District 5 title sport, then beating District 9 champion Keystone in a PIAA first-round sport Tuesday.
• The Ramblers’ solely loss was a two-point defeat by the hands of Shanksville-Stonycreek, a loss Windber avenged in the D-5 quarterfinals.
• Winber has certified for the PIAA women basketball playoffs for 4 straight years; nevertheless, they had been 0-3 earlier than this season, together with a 59-52 loss to Brentwood in the 2A first spherical in 2018.
(operate(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
}(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));