The Star Inn at Harome caught hearth at 10.13 p.m. native time (5.13 p.m. ET) on Wednesday, in keeping with the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.
The restaurant, which is situated within the village of Harome within the county of North Yorkshire, posted concerning the incident on social media.
The constructing dates from the 14th century.
John Giles/PA Images/Reuters
Staff additionally posted on Twitter.
Fire crews from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service used 9 hearth vans, an aerial ladder platform and different tools to battle the blaze, in keeping with an announcement.
“The fire in the thatched roof of the building caused extensive damage to the roof and roof space,” it mentioned.
“Crews worked hard to prevent the fire spreading all along the thatched roof, meaning one end of the roof and the ground floor were saved from the fire.”
The service confirmed that each one occupants have been out of the property when crews arrived. The explanation for the hearth will not be but recognized.
Owner Andrew Pern instructed BBC Radio York that the property “didn’t really stand a chance” when the hearth took maintain.
“It means a lot,” mentioned Pern of the constructing, struggling to carry again tears.
Pern mentioned it will in all probability be round a yr till the principle eating space can reopen.
The Star Inn at Harome sits on the sting of the North York Moors National Park. It obtained one star from the Michelin Guide, which praised the “plush, luxurious feel” of the restaurant mixed with a “characterful bar” that looks like an area pub.
“This is a place that proudly champions its home county,” the information says, praising head chef Steve Smith’s capacity to make use of native substances “to create rich, gutsy, flavor-driven dishes with a classical base and modern overtones.”
Top picture credit score: PA Images by way of Reuters Connect