When we get to cruising altitude, the seatbelt gentle turns off and we can now transfer freely aboard the plane. But typically we hit turbulence. When the pilot comes on the audio system and says, “time to get back in your seats and put your seat belt on,” we (most of us a minimum of), discover our seats, placed on our seatbelts, and brace ourselves for a rocky journey.
When we put our seatbelts on, do we ask ourselves, why did not the pilots, flight attendants or air management predict this? Do we query the credibility, reliability, or intentions of our flight crew? Nope. We perceive that issues can change rapidly, and we should alter to the situations. There is a purpose for what we are doing.
Well, Covid-19 is the largest, scariest pandemic aircraft journey, and your entire world is at present on it collectively. When we go into lockdowns, prohibit journey, and mandate masks and different prevention methods, well being care and public well being officers, together with authorities employees, make these choices, based mostly on the info they’ve, with situations altering rapidly, so as to preserve the general public secure.
So, right here we are. The healthcare and public well being professionals are bracing ourselves for a rocky journey, and we want folks to assist us by sitting down and placing their proverbial “seat belt” (specifically, masks) again on. There are many causes for our turbulence. Here are a couple of:
- The coronavirus continues to mutate quickly because it spreads from particular person to particular person all through our very interconnected world.
- We are nonetheless studying about the virus and the way to finest forestall, diagnose and deal with it.
- There are youngsters below 12 who are not eligible to get the vaccine.
- We have folks in elements of the world who don’t have access to the vaccine.
- We have folks proper right here within the US who are hesitant and have not gotten vaccinated.
- We know Covid-19 is spread through droplets and aerosols, so we have to be particularly cautious in indoor areas (and even crowded outside areas).
- Ventilation and airflow are key in stopping unfold and we nonetheless have a good distance to go to enhance our indoor air.
There are a number of issues we are juggling to predict, some we have management over and some we have little management over. And as faculties return in session, there may be much more of a way of urgency to shield folks of all ages, all through the world.
Here is my plea to you: On behalf of your pandemic aircraft crew, I’m begging you, get again in your seats, placed on your seatbelts (masks) and prepare for a rocky journey. Even in case you’re vaccinated, preserve these masks on everytime you’re indoors and while you’re in crowded outside settings. Please do not query if we care about you. Don’t query if we are credible. Don’t query if we are clever. Don’t query if we are Republicans, Democrats or no matter.
We are flying an enormous large airplane collectively, we have passengers (you) that we care deeply and personally about. And I promise, as quickly as we can hit some higher and fewer turbulent situations, we will flip off that seatbelt signal and allow you to take off our masks and chill out once more. But bear in mind, these masks could return on once more and we could ask for extra assist in stopping the unfold of Covid-19. We cannot predict the longer term and the way the situations could change. I simply ask that you simply give us grace, house, and endurance as we strive to land this pandemic aircraft safely and easily.