University President Darryll J. Pines despatched the next e mail to the campus group this morning:
Today, we formally launch Arts for All, a campuswide initiative that seeks to humanize the world’s grand challenges and combine the humanities extra totally into dialog with the sciences and know-how, enriching all.
There is transformational energy on the intersection of the humanities and the sciences. Solutions to a few of at the moment’s most urgent challenges—structural racism, gender inequality, local weather change, world well being disparities and others—want the humanities and humanities to assist us perceive the historic, cultural, linguistic and creative expressions that form our world and to find people-centered options.
Arts for All will create new curriculum, together with the brand new undergraduate program in Immersive Media and Design co-developed by the Department of Art and the Department of Computer Science that debuted this semester, and the Maya Brin Institute for New Performance will put together college students for rising fields in webcasts and digital actuality efficiency. These thrilling new initiatives will encourage creative and technological makers to analyze and create new connections that activate social change.
In the spirit of bringing artwork and tradition to a wider viewers, an expanded NextNOW Fest, offered by The Clarice, launches at the moment. Throughout the week, NextNOW Fest occasions will happen in venues throughout campus in addition to in College Park. Under the theme of “Where Creativity and Community Converge,” dozens of free events will celebrate imagination and creative expression.
I wish to invite each member of our campus group to be a full participant on this expanded arts programming. At the center of the Arts for All initiative lies a deep dedication to offering interdisciplinary alternatives to make connections out and in of the classroom that empower all of us to handle advanced issues in new and significant methods.
Some highlights from NextNOW Fest 2021 and future Arts for All programming embrace:
- Immersive Media Design Showcase (Sept. 16-17; Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Engineering): Students within the new Immersive Media Design main showcase initiatives that push the boundaries of actuality and break boundaries within the arts.
- NextNOW Fest at The Hall CP (Sept. 19, The Hall CP): A day-long celebration of the humanities that includes workshops, interactive installations and dwell efficiency from campus and group artists and humanities organizations.
- American Landscapes (Sept. 9-Nov. 19; David C. Driskell Center): A brand new exhibition that highlights neglected Black artists in American creative custom. In conjunction with this exhibition, a symposium shall be offered on Oct. 28, with alternatives to attend in particular person and just about.
- Arts and Humanities Dean’s Lecture Featuring Vijay Gupta (Oct. 21): The College of Arts and Humanities presents violin prodigy and social justice advocate Vijay Gupta, who in 2007 turned the youngest violinist ever to hitch the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and has emerged as a number one voice for the position of music to heal, encourage, provoke change and foster social connection.
- Hookman (Nov. 13-21): Lauren Yee’s Hookman tells the story of Lexi, a university freshman who’s haunted by the sudden demise of her childhood greatest buddy—all whereas navigating the pressures of being a younger girl coming into maturity. Directed by Nathaniel P. Claridad ’04, the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies’ manufacturing brings the horror movie style to the stage, inviting audiences to discover themes of grief, trauma and guilt in an up shut and private approach. This is the inaugural manufacturing of the Maya Brin Institute for New Performance.
Our world wants artists whose work helps us tackle grand challenges and discover the complexities of the human expertise. Together, let’s have fun the facility of creativity—music, theater, dance, visible arts, design, inventive writing—to enhance the lives of all humankind.