President Biden’s expected announcement Thursday night that the United States plans to donate 500 million Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine doses globally will probably be part of his efforts to reassert US management on the world stage, officers stated.
Biden is set to ship remarks at 1:15 pm ET from St. Ives, Cornwall, United Kingdom.
Officials touted the transfer Thursday, suggesting it is a part of a broader effort for the world’s democracies to lead the manner in pandemic restoration.
“This will be clearly the largest purchase and donation of Covid-19 vaccines by a single country, by far, and it’s an unprecedented response,” a senior administration official instructed reporters on a briefing name Thursday.
“We want to do everything we can to prevent more tragic loss across the globe,” the official stated, including that it is “in our national interest to end this pandemic everywhere.”
“Covid-19 knows no borders, and as long as this virus is in our world, Americans are at risk,” the official stated, stressing how the virus additionally “threatens economic opportunity.”
But the transfer is additionally supposed to encourage different US allies to step up.
“We’re also using this announcement today to leverage and mobilize larger commitments from the world’s democracies, from the G7 and partner countries,” a separate senior official stated, previewing a “G7 Covid-related multilateral announcement.”
At the G7 summit this weekend, the official stated, leaders will announce a “collective effort by the world’s democracies to beat Covid-19 for once and for all.”
The donation comes as Biden has repeatedly stated that the world is at an inflection level for whether or not democracy can prevail over autocracy.
“This is the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing to do, and it is tangible proof that it is going to be the world’s democracies who ultimately deliver when it comes to beating the Covid-19 pandemic,” the official stated.
Here are key things to know about the vaccine donation:
- Officials stated the Pfizer doses will start to ship in August and 200 million doses will probably be delivered by the finish of this 12 months.
- The remaining 300 million doses will probably be delivered in the first half of 2022.
- They will probably be manufactured in the US, the officers stated, “employing thousands of workers” in states like Michigan, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.
- The price will probably be round $1.5 billion, which is able to come from previously-allocated funds in the American Rescue Plan aid bundle handed earlier this 12 months.
- There will probably be no circumstances for the nations that obtain the doses.
“The United States is not seeking favors in exchange for these doses, we’re not making demands in order for countries to get these doses, we are not imposing conditions, political, economic or otherwise. We are going to be guided by the science and public health experts in allocating them to the places where they can make the most difference,” the second senior official stated.