Condo collapse: Miami-Dade police to take over search efforts at the Surfside building collapse site


The Miami-Dade Fire Rescue had been in cost at the site of the now-leveled residential building in the South Florida neighborhood. But that’s now altering, in accordance to a information launch from Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava’s workplace, permitting the police division to step in absolutely.

“The operation is ongoing, and MDPD is continuing to search the debris pile both for human remains and for personal items until they have completed a full additional search of the debris,” the information launch mentioned.

So far, officers have identified 97 victims who died in the collapse. Of these victims, 96 have been recovered from the collapse site and one died in the hospital, Miami-Dade County officers mentioned Wednesday.

The most up-to-date sufferer was recognized as 58-year-old Linda March. The county mentioned it believes there’s nonetheless one sufferer.

It hasn’t named the particular person, however on Friday, the household of Estelle Hedaya, 54, told NCS she is the final victim.

“The tough part is seeing my parents like this, day after day,” her brother, Ikey Hedaya, informed NCS. “I just want my sister to be at peace and get the honor and respect she deserves.”

General view of the land where the partially collapsed Champlain Towers South building was located  on July 23, 2021.General view of the land where the partially collapsed Champlain Towers South building was located  on July 23, 2021.

Firefighters have been superheroes, mayor says

Part of the Champlain Towers South crumbled in the early morning hours of June 24 whereas lots of the residents have been sleeping. Some residents described the terror of feeling the rumbling and seeing the cracks in the partitions. Others didn’t make it out.

The mayor famous that Miami-Dade firefighters have been on the scene since that morning.

“They are true superheroes who have stepped up to serve this community in the wake of unprecedented disaster — not just by leading the search and rescue and recovery operation but through the care and compassion they demonstrated to all the families, doing everything they could to bring closure to those who lost loved ones,” Levine Cava mentioned.

“We’re also very grateful to Miami-Dade Police Department which has been leading the investigation since the beginning, and now continues the challenging work of continuing to sift through millions of pounds of debris, searching for remains and personal items to bring closure to families,” the mayor added.

Now a month since the tragedy, the site is generally cleared and particles has been relocated to a unique site, with greater than 22 million kilos of particles eliminated.
Surfside victims will not be asked to donate their real estate for the public good, judge saysSurfside victims will not be asked to donate their real estate for the public good, judge says

Officials have mentioned the search is not going to finish till each cherished one is recovered.

“We are continuing to search with enormous care and diligence and to work closely hand-in-hand with faith leaders as we have since the beginning of this process,” Levine Cava mentioned.

The reason for the collapse stays below investigation, which can absolutely start when the search ends.

Florida State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle has acknowledged “multiple requests by engineers and attorneys” to acquire entry to the site.

“It is my understanding that once NIST (the National Institute of Standards and Technology), the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Miami-Dade Police Departments determine that it is safe and appropriate for others to gain access to the site, they will be permitted to do so under guidelines set forth by those agencies,” Rundle mentioned.

NCS’s Andy Rose and Deanna Hackney contributed to this report.



Sources