How do you utilize expertise/coverage to enhance residents’ lives? Tell us about your position or organisation.
GovTech Lab Lithuania, which I had the pleasure of initiating and I’m now main, seeks to open the general public sector to modern concepts and works as a connector between public sector challenges and the entrepreneur neighborhood. Our staff on the Agency for Science, Innovation and Technology give attention to three key actions:
- Help the general public sector to determine challenges that may be solved by rising applied sciences and match that with concepts within the entrepreneur neighborhood.
- Accelerate startups and SMEs #GovTech and #TechForGood area.
- Build the GovTech neighborhood in Lithuania and past.
We arrange a GovTech Challenge Series, that begins with the identification of public sector problem and finishes with Demo Day showcasing pilot options developed by startups and modern firms, in cooperation with public sector establishments. We run it in batches, like an accelerator. In 2020 we delivered the second iteration of the GovTech Challenge collection with 9 challenges and 9 options. Challenges that we assist to unravel might be any drawback within the public sector, which requires an modern scalable resolution that might not be simply purchased by means of a normal public procurement course of. It might be from inner organizational points to challenges with policymaking or coverage implementation. For occasion, Oxylabs, with a assist of consultants from the Communications Regulatory Authority of Lithuania (RRT) are constructing an AI resolution that might detect unlawful content material on the web (with an emphasis on baby sexual abuse materials), whereas a startup Codami has additionally developed an AI device to detect hate speech on the web. Others give attention to fostering the potential of massive knowledge to make the correct selections round enhancing well being at colleges – Green Thyme is constructing Lithuania’s first clever public well being monitoring system for the colleges in Vilnius.
What was essentially the most impactful challenge you labored on this 12 months?
The most impactful initiatives are in two areas – mobilizing the entrepreneur neighborhood in coping with the disaster and additional growing our strategies to attach the general public sector, startups, and SMEs.
First, initially of the lockdown in March, along with the important thing Lithuania’s startup ecosystem gamers we organized Hack The Crisis hackathon, which gathered greater than 1000 entrepreneurs. Solutions, that have been born in the course of the hackathon have been later adopted within the Lithuanian authorities (similar to viLTe chatbot) or developed into profitable startups, similar to Mindletic, Teachers Lead Tech, or Uvireso.
Secondly, this 12 months we launched our very first GovTech Co-create Accelerator, which is now a part of the GovTech Challenge Series. As against conventional accelerators, that are aimed toward startups solely, throughout our accelerator, public sector establishments, startups, and different modern firms work collectively to co-create pilot GovTech options. We hope that this helps not solely to create options that really mirror public sector wants but additionally develop lengthy lasting results on the tradition of innovation within the public sector.
What is one sudden studying from 2020?
2020 was an sudden 12 months in itself. But for GovTech Lab, one of the sudden occasions was the event of CivTech Alliance, along with the CivTech Scotland staff and comparable groups in Australia, Barbados, US, Estonia, and different nations. Started from a fast journey to Edinburgh simply earlier than the lockdown and a workshop within the CivTech workplace, this has developed right into a full-on neighborhood with weekly calls for the final 10 months, sharing insights into how all of us are coping with the disaster, how we’re participating startups or motivating public sector to innovate. Such a help community in these unsure occasions has made our personal staff extra assured in our experimentation.
What device or method notably pursuits you for 2021?
As a continuation of our GovTech Co-Create Accelerator, I wish to put much more give attention to the “co-creation” half. I hope, that in 2021, as a GovTech Lab, we might create much more areas with startups and the entrepreneur neighborhood to return along with public sector officers to work on very thrilling GovTech options.
What are your priorities for 2021?
2020 was full experimentation and very quick progress for our staff, so in 2021 my predominant focus is on maturing the processes that we created, refining, and scaling them. Three predominant priorities come to thoughts:
- Reaffirming GovTech as one of many strategic agenda gadgets in Lithuania. In 2020, GovTech was included as one of many predominant sub-brands and communication parts of Lithuania’s branding overseas. Lithuania’s authorities additionally confirmed 7 million euros to pilot GovTech options. This is an unimaginable recognition for GovTech, nevertheless, subsequent 12 months will probably be centered on conserving GovTech on the agenda and making certain that its full potential is actually understood.
- Building extra GovTech ambassadors throughout the general public sector. GovTech Lab remains to be a small staff, and to make extra strategic change within the public sector we have to have individuals who imagine within the concepts of experimentation and opening as much as startups. 2021 will probably be about discovering extra of those key folks that might be our ambassadors in numerous establishments.
- Finally, to make sure that we have now a sufficiently big and various sufficient GovTech market, we wish to focus extra on rising early-stage startups. Therefore, we are going to give attention to refining our “bottom-up” method for scouting and accelerating startups with promising GovTech options with out prior identification of a particular problem from the general public sector.
What recommendation would you give to girls seeking to begin a profession in GovTech?
Just go for it. GovTech remains to be a really a lot growing subject, so there may be loads of area to create a neighborhood that’s inclusive and welcoming to everybody.
Write a message for your future self.
Keep experimenting, innovating, and specializing in influence.