t’s report card time, and 4 Houston excessive colleges have made the grade, incomes high 100 spots in this 12 months’s prestigious U.S. News & World Report rankings of the Best U.S. High Schools. One even merited a particular distinction.
Houston’s Carnegie Vanguard High School ranked highest on the checklist at No. 42. The faculty is ranked fifth inside Texas. The Advanced Placement coursework participation charge there’s one hundred pc; whole minority enrollment is 77 p.c, and 31 p.c of scholars are economically deprived.
Following shut behind is the celebrated DeBakey High School for Health Professions at No. 46 general. The famend medical prep faculty boasts an AP participation charge of 98 p.c, whole minority enrollment is 88 p.c, and 44 p.c of scholars are economically deprived.
Farther down the checklist is Challenge Early College High School, at No. 89 general. The AP participation charge right here is one hundred pc, whole minority enrollment is 92 p.c, and 76 p.c of scholars are economically deprived.
At No. 97 general is Young Women’s College Prep Academy. The AP participation charge right here is one hundred pc. The whole minority enrollment is 97 p.c, and almost all college students — some 96 p.c — are economically deprived.
The 2021 version is U.S. News’ most complete survey but, with the buyer recommendation outlet evaluating greater than 17,800 public excessive colleges on how nicely they serve all of their college students, no matter financial or ethnic background.
To decide rankings, they give attention to six components: school readiness, studying and math proficiency, studying and math efficiency, underserved scholar efficiency, school curriculum breadth, and commencement charges. College readiness particularly measures participation and efficiency on Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams.
Notably, the info used in this version is from the 2018-2019 educational faculty 12 months, so it was not affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Families can use the Best High Schools rankings to see how schools compare at the national, state and local level on factors like graduation rates and college readiness,” mentioned Anita Narayan, managing editor of Education at U.S. News, in a press release. “The rankings also provide insight into academic performance among underserved groups showing how well schools are supporting these students.”
Eight extra Texas colleges additionally seem on the nationwide high 100 checklist:
- No. 13, School for the Talented and Gifted, Dallas
- No. 15, Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School, Dallas
- No. 39, The Science and Engineering Magnet School, Dallas
- No. 41, Liberal Arts and Science Academy, Austin
- No. 42, Carnegie Vanguard High School, Houston
- No. 46, DeBakey High School for Health Professions, Houston
- No. 59, Judge Barefoot Sanders Law Magnet, Dallas
- No. 68, IDEA Frontier College Preparatory, Brownsville
- No. 89, Challenge Early College High School, Houston
- No. 96, Health Careers High School, San Antonio
- No. 97, Young Women’s College Prep Academy, Houston
- No. 98, Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, Austin
Just excessive 100 threshold is Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy, coming in at No. 101.
Texas had 1,524 colleges ranked this 12 months, of which 42 positioned in the highest 5 p.c, 79 in the highest 10 p.c, and 157 in the highest 25 p.c nationally.
Statewide, the highest 10 highest rating colleges had been:
- The School for the Talented and Gifted (TAG), Dallas
- Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School, Dallas
- Science and Engineering Magnet School (SEM), Dallas
- Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA), Austin
- Carnegie Vanguard High School, Houston
- DeBakey High School for Health Professions, Houston
- Judge Barefoot Sanders Law Magnet, Dallas
- IDEA Frontier College Preparatory, Brownsville
- Challenge Early College High School, Houston
- Health Careers High School, San Antonio
So, which faculty all through the nation ranks as this 12 months’s valedictorian? Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia was deemed the most effective in the nation, in addition to amongst magnet colleges. Read the total report and seek for colleges here.
This article initially ran on CultureMap.